[whatwg] Workers and queue of events

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Wed Nov 19 01:55:44 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:

> And if it becomes a problem we might in a future version be able to add
> something like a 'messagepostfailed' event that is fired on the sending port
> in case a message failed to reach its target for one reason or another.

I don't think that would be useful. What if the message reaches the target
but the target dies while the message is queued? Or it dies after executing
the first JS statement in the message handler?

The only way to be sure that a message has been processed to receive a
response from the target saying so.

If I was implementing workers in their own processes, I'd be tempted to make
abnormal termination of the worker fatal to any Web page that was aware of
the existence of the worker. The principle of "if you can't follow the spec,
destroy the evidence so no-one can prove it".

Rob
53:5-6]