[whatwg] Absent rev?

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 02:08:13 PST 2008

Smylers wrote:
> Martin McEvoy writes:
>

>> Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> That's backwards -- looking for a problem to fit the solution, not
>>> looking for a solution to fit the problem
>>>
>> No not really because If you look at the anyalasis(link above) made in
>> 2005 rev=made (9th) is used more than, rel start, search, help, top,
>> up,  author and a whole lot of other link relationships that have made
>> their  way into HTML5, It doesn't make any sense?
>>

> There's a difference between adding an attribute and adding to the set
> of values defined for an attribute; given rel's existence, the cost of
> adding start, up, etc is quite possibly less than of adding rev.

OK that makes sense, what cost is there of using rev and defining a few
rev link types?
> There's also the misuse to consider.  If, say, rel=up is barely used but
> when it is used it's generally used correctly then it's benign, and not
> causing any harm.  Significant rev misuse has been identified; its
> existence is confusing people into writing something they don't mean.

This is the bit that I find so very wrong the most popular rev value is
rev-made which is used correctly most of the time, Authors Misuse <br>
all the time, the same goes for <address>  based on the statement above
HTML5 should drop those too?

> Smylers

Thanks

--