[whatwg] <embed> feedback

Michael A. Puls II shadow2531 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 15:47:59 PST 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:58:19 -0500, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Michael A. Puls II wrote:
>>
>> I see "When the element is created with neither a src attribute nor a
>> type attribute, and when attributes are removed such that neither
>> attribute is present on the element anymore, any plugins instantiated
>> for the element must be removed, and the embed element represents
>> nothing."
>>
>> So, does that mean that <embed width="1000" height="1000"> would take up
>> zero space?
>
> No, but that's a rendering-level concern. The element can represent
> nothing while still rendering as a lot of whitespace.

I hope the rendering part is clarified. Firefox collapses the embed's width and height, which, by popularity, kind of makes Opera and Safari's behavior unexpected.

>> > There are a lot of videos sent as text/plain. I'm not sure we can ever
>> > get around that.
>>
>> I guess nothing. Leave it up to th UA?
>
> I changed the spec to treat the type="" attribute as an override, and the
> Content-Type as the truth if there's no type="". No sniffing.
>
> I guess we'll see if browsers implement it or if they can't.

Understood.

>> > How do we define that, beyond what the spec already says?
>>
>> Not sure. Another UA issue I guess.
>
> Seems like a conformance issue, but I'm not sure how to define it.

Here's how I would describe it:

If you have a plugin that supports loading a resource sent as a mime type other than the mime type specified in the type attribute that loads the plugin, using the data attribute may produce undesired results. In this case, it's better to omit the data attribute and use the <param> the plugin looks for to find what resource to load.

I'm sure you could turn that into something that reads better, but you should get the point. Perhaps that belongs in an authoring guide though.

>> > That's not how browsers seem to behave -- they ignore the type if the
>> > extension is supported.
>>
>> Yeh, another UA issue I guess.
>
> Right now, the spec says to use the extension to determine the type for
> <embed> (but not <object>). I don't like it. If we can get UAs to change
> this, I'd be happy.

O.K.

>> > The type="" attribute overrides the extension.
>>
>> <embed src="000.asx"> or <embed type="text/plain" src="000.asx"> (with
>> 000.asx sent as text/plain) loads up in the Windows Media plug-in in
>> Opera, Firefox and Safari, despite the Windows Media plug-in not
>> claiming that it supports text/plain.
>>
>> Is that the correct behavior? (I guess it is since they all do it :) )
>
> I've changed <embed> to do this as you describe (after testing that it
> does indeed happen!). I haven't changed <object>, which in at least
> Safari
> has similar behavior.

O.K.

Thanks