[whatwg] Solving the login/logout problem in HTML

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Tue Nov 25 13:24:20 PST 2008

Julian Reschke schrieb:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> For instance, we've been working on a search engine that scan internet
>>> sites that may require authentication. Configuring that login for each
>>> site would be a maintenance nightmare.
>>
>> Well for a piece of software of that scale, parsing the document using an
>> off-the-shelf HTML parser and finding the first matching <form> element
>> and then applying normal HTML semantics to get to the form fields seems
>> like a pretty small task in comparison to the rest.
>
> Well, that's what we have been doing.
>
> I was looking forward where this could be used by somebody who isn't an
> expert (think Microsoft Webfolder client or Apple WebDAV FS driver), and
> where running an HTML parser (in the kernel?) would be problematic.
>
>>> So, on the other hand, if the login form is more complex than username +
>>> password, what is a bot supposed to do with it?
>>
>> I don't understand why it makes a difference what the form is like. It
>> should apply whatever credentials it has been given -- whatever those
>> might be, username/password, certificate, fake addressa and phone number,
>> whatever, and submit the form. Just like a user.
>
> To do that, it would need to *capture* that information somewhere. I was
> assuming the whole point in the exercise was to avoid having to pop up
> an HTML based UI...

> PS: But even if it doesn't help authenticating without an HTML based UI,
> this could be useful because it allows non-interactive clients to
> understand that they're looking at a login form, not the "real thing".

Good points.
There are circumstances where the client is not prepared to handle
or parse HTML.
However if the client is a human user you want a nice login page
instead of the ugly basic authentication dialog.

   Philipp Kempgen

--
http://www.das-asterisk-buch.de  -  http://www.the-asterisk-book.com
Amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de