[whatwg] Issues relating to the syntax of dates and times

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Tue Nov 25 13:35:36 PST 2008

Pentasis wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Pentasis wrote:
>>> "The primary use cases for these elements are for marking up publication
>>> dates e.g. in blog entries, and for marking event dates in hCalendar
>>> markup. Thus the DOM APIs are likely to be used as ways to generate
>>> interactive calendar widgets or some such."
>>>
>>> I agree with this, so disregard my previous remarks on this subject. I
>>> would however recommend dropping the word "primary".

Note that what you've quoted was from a note about a potential issue
with the DOM APIs which appears in the last formally published WD, but
which has since been removed from the current editor's draft.

>> I wouldn't want to make people think their particular use case was
>> excluded. What if someone wanted to use a date to indicate the time an
>> entry was added, for instance? Hence the word "primary".
>
> This confuses me again ;-) Sorry.  Are you saying that examples and
> use-cases will be excluded from the spec?

No.  It's just that the note didn't list all possible use cases and that
there are other similar use cases for marking up contemporary dates
which are equally valid.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/