[whatwg] Solving the login/logout problem in HTML

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Nov 25 13:39:04 PST 2008

Ian Hickson wrote:
> I wouldn't recommend running an HTTP parser in the kernel either. Anywhere
> where you can safely run an HTTP parser you can run an HTML parser too.

Maybe, maybe not. I'll leave the answer to those who need to do it.

>> To do that, it would need to *capture* that information somewhere. I was
>> assuming the whole point in the exercise was to avoid having to pop up
>> an HTML based UI...
>
> Well if you don't have the credentials, you can't really login anyway.

People are trained to configure credentials as value pairs (name,
password). Anything more complex than that will be tricky to deploy in
generic frameworks.

In theory, you should be able to reformat everything that.

> If the request is to be able to take an HTML form and display it to the
> user as some other UI, then just apply the HTML semantics to the form to
> get the UI out. That's exactly what HTML is _for_: encoding media- and
> presentation-independent semantics.

OK, so how do you tell a mount command that your credentials are more
complex than username/password?

For that matter, how do UAs like FF's password manager handle cases like
these?

BR, Julian