[whatwg] media elements: Relative seeking

Maik Merten maikmerten at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 23:09:19 PST 2008

Silvia Pfeiffer schrieb:
> The duration is indeed jumping quite a bit between 8min and 12 min and
> even at the end still has a gap of actual end time of 9m54s while the
> estimate is still at 10m44s.

Actually that gap means the byte-accounting is still buggy. Hmmm...

> Players like YouTube's player display the
> duration of the file which is very useful for a consumer to estimate
> if they actually have the time to spend on watching the video. So,
> even if we don't use the duration/length attribute for calculating the
> timeline, it may well be useful metadata for display purposes.

I agree. However, even if the media element itself doesn't evaluate that
attribute content providers could still attach it to the media element
for their JavaScript-players to fetch that information. Making that
standard may make sense, though.

> BTW: are you planning to implement seeking on the timeline, too? It
> would probably not too bad given the smoothness of the slider
> position.

Aye, I'm absolutely planning to implement seeking. This applet is
supposed to become a fallback option if the browser itself has no media
elements, so it should implement enough HTML5-media scripting to be
usable for the more common usecases.

Maik