[whatwg] accesskey attribute with display:none elements

Olli Pettay Olli.Pettay at helsinki.fi
Wed Nov 26 13:30:19 PST 2008

On 11/26/2008 05:35 PM, Calogero Alex Baldacchino wrote:
anyway I think key events handling may
> be improved and become easier to adopt by adding to a somewhat interface
> a few constants representing the modifiers combination used by the
> browser to activate access keys, so those modifiers could be compared to
> the modifiers 'carried on' by the key event (this would require support
> for the DOM 3 Events, which I think could be improved/modified too -- if
> something like the above is yet present in html5 spec and I've missed
> it, I apologize).

Note, accesskey events (http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/40)
won't be probably defined in DOM 3 Events (which is still just a draft).
And those events are anyway different thing to this problem.

I'd want it to be specified somewhere how accesskeys should behave in
display:none content.  Because of the valid use case (dhtml menus) and
the current behavior of FF2/Safari/Opera and it-is-used-in-the-web, I think
allowing those accesskeys to work should be ok.
Of course if there is some *good* argument why they shouldn't work, that
behavior should be standardized.

br,

-Olli