[whatwg] Feeedback on <dfn>, <abbr>, and other elements

Calogero Alex Baldacchino alex.baldacchino at email.it
Thu Nov 27 16:54:52 PST 2008

Pentasis ha scritto:
>> From: Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>
>> Subject: Re: [whatwg] Feeedback on <dfn>, <abbr>, and other elements
>> related to cross-references
>> To: Calogero Alex Baldacchino <alex.baldacchino at email.it>
>> Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg at lists.whatwg.org>
>>
>> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Calogero Alex Baldacchino wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps a silly idea: what if abbreviations could work as an img-map
>>> couple? That is, i.e., an <abbr> without a title could avail of a, let's
>>> say, 'ref' attribute indicating the id of a previous <abbr> element with
>>> a title, and the former could be 'self-closing' (i.e. <abbr ref="#foo"
>>> />), so by default the UA would substitute it with the referenced
>>> element content (the unexpanded abbreviation), and, at the user will
>>> (when he/she clics on the abbreviation, or just stops the pointer, or
>>> navigates to the abbreviation, or according to any setting in the
>>> browser options) the abbreviation is expanded. (I guess the above won't
>>> be agreed because of backward compatibility, though)
>>
>> What problem would this solve? It's not like including the abbreviation
>> each time is a great burden.
>>

> Actually, it would solve a problem like this:
>
> What if I style abbr so that the title attribute is shown after the
> abbreviation:
>
> abbr[title]:after {
>   content: " ("attr(title)")";
> }
>
> Now obviously I don't need and don't want to do this for every instance
> of the abbreviation on the page visually (just the first one on each
> page would be enough) , but I do want the title attribute to be expanded
> for screenreaders on each instance.
>
> Using this solution would enable the screenreaders to get the title
> information from a previous instance, but at the same time would not
> render it visually.
>
> Bert

I'm not sure I've understood your aim. In my "half-proposal" the '<abbr
ref=#foo />' element should/could be thought as inheriting the title
attribute (and the abbreviation content) from the referenced '<abbr
id="foo" title"Foo Bar" >FB</abbr>', thus your example would expand the
title for any #foo reference, and should be part of a
screenreader-targeted style sheet. Was this your purpose?

 Sponsor:
 Tom Raider Anniversary ora sul tuo cellulare! Entra in azione!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8277&d=28-11