[whatwg] video tag: pixel aspect ratio

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Sun Nov 30 23:05:20 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Peter Kasting <pkasting at google.com> wrote:
> I don't think it is the end of the world if this attribute goes in, but I
> see very little benefit to it, and I am always for removing items with
> marginal utility.

I'm inclined to agree. I think it's odd that an attribute is being
added to fix video's encoded incorrectly. Why can't the author of the
video fix the actual video?

One of the arguments for captions being embedded in video's rather
than having some way of defining captions by the page author was that
it's important not to use HTML to fix broken videos, and allow
captions to travel with the file. The same argument could be made for
pixel ratio. Fixing it in the HTML means everyone linking to the file
using <video> will need to remember to add pixelratio to their HTML.
Better to fix the file.

Can someone provide examples of videos on the web that are currently
broken, and a pixel ratio that would fix it? As an HTML author that
wants to embed a video on my website I don't think I'd have any idea
how to come up with a pixel ratio to fix it.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz