[whatwg] Arbitrary HTML in option-elements

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Oct 21 23:29:41 PDT 2008

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:
> Olav Junker Kjær wrote:
> > It would be a useful feature if arbitrary HTML was allowed in option
> > elements. E.g. items in a dropdown could have different icons.
>
> Yeah, personally, I think we should look at adding the |icon| attribute
> to the <option> element.

We can't allow arbitrary markup in <option> in text/html for legacy
reasons. The icon idea seems reasonable for menus of actions, but we're
doing with with <menu> now; for drop down lists, most lists in most
operating system UIs don't seem to have an icon so I'm not convinced we
really want to expose that yet.