[whatwg] Placeholder option for text input boxes

Russell Leggett russell.leggett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 07:06:11 PDT 2008

I've wrestled with this because its something that our designer has wanted
to use all over the place for an application I'm working on. It turns out to
be a usability nightmare if not used sparingly. When we used it, it was
definitely in place of an actual label, and I think this would be true in
most cases. In the cases where an outer label and a placeholder are needed,
I think the solution could just be to have two Label elements that point to
the same input.
spec<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#edef-LABEL>
 :

> More than one LABEL<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#edef-LABEL> may
> be associated with the same control by creating multiple references via the
> for <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#adef-for> attribute.

Then CSS could be used on one of the labels to make it appear as placeholder
content.