[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Oct 14 17:40:09 PDT 2008

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Except if it is being used for an advertising display, or the like, and
> happens to be around for a long time. Why not define a way to say
> "forever" that means it (and doesn't require us to count the loops in
> our implementation)?

There is no way to say "loop forever" right now primarily because doing so
would mean complicating the syntax of the playcount attribute to be not
just a number. You can work around it with script (just add
onended="currentTime=0" to the <video> element).

To be honest I'm not really convinced we need the looping feature at all.
It seems like we should drop this from the current version. What benefit
does it bring? Is looping really that common? If we got rid of it we could
find better ways of picking the start time.