[whatwg] video tag: pixel aspect ratio

Sander van Zoest sander at vanzoest.com
Wed Oct 15 12:31:44 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Sander van Zoest <sander at vanzoest.com>
> wrote:
>
> > integer another data type? Also, having non-square pixels is not
> > broken. If we go this route, we might as well get rid of the distinction
> all
> > together.
>
> I was responding to Ian's question against your original
> pixelratio='59:54' proposal.

Do note, I also mentioned two attributes. I am just trying to say we need
two 32-bit integers
to express PAR, so we can do that however is appropriate.  The only reason I
liked the above
is that it was keeping h &v together. I didn't realize that this was going
to cause such a stir.
I am willing to put forth the effort if it would help.

> Shall I instead say, conforming to best practices doesn't justify two
> interactive attributes here? :)

Following that logic, why add the attribute at all? If it is going to be
wrong, and require guessing to the
nearest fraction by the user agent. It is rarely going to be used. Why not
just force people to transcode
the content to make it work correctly? Have them put it in a Ogg container
while they are at it?

-- Sander