[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Wed Oct 15 13:47:57 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > While the underlying media frameworks can't necessarily answer, "if I
> > > give you a file with this MIME type, can you play it?", they can at
> > > least give a yes/no/maybe answer, which can still be quite helpful,
> > > since the UA will know it does not need to check some media streams at
> > > all.
> >
> > I agree. If the API lets us answer "maybe", there is not much need or
> > temptation to lie, and we can still return information that could be
> > useful to scripts.
>
> I have added window.navigator.canPlayType(mimeType). It returns 1, 0, or
> -1 to represent positive, neutral, and negative responses.

navigator.canPlayType could be confusing since authors might think it
includes media playable via plugins or other browser functionality. Making
it a method on <video>/<audio> would be more obvious and, I think, no less
useful in practice.

I am proposing changing the spec to make the load() not select a resource.
> Instead, load() would immediately return, and the user agent would then
> asynchronously try each resource that it might otherwise use in turn,
> firing a single loadstart event at the start, lots of progress events, and
> then a loadedmetadata or error event depending on how things go.

That sounds good.

Rob
53:5-6]