[whatwg] video tag javascript library for contemporary browsers

Michael Dale dale at ucsc.edu
Fri Oct 17 13:57:34 PDT 2008

In principal there is no reason why overlays could not be applied to
hardware accelerated video with styled css elements on top. It may
require re-tooling some of the html rendering architectures .. but that
is eventually the way things have to go anyway.

Flash 10 for example supports GPU Compositing which greatly accelerates
combining images, filters, and video.  It also uses GPU Blitting
allowing accelerated rendering (like what used to happen in flash full
screen mode) rendered right to the browsers.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/releasenotes.html

There is no reason why browsers should not head in that direction as
soon as possible if they want to support the same type of hardware
accelerated user experience soon to be available via flash.

--michael