[whatwg] a and button

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 08:02:10 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Philipp Serafin <phil127 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome at opera.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to have a simple way of using <button> along with <a> to
> > create pretty links. This markup works in Opera, Mozilla, and Webkit:

> > but it's not valid HTML5 it seems. I propose to make it valid.
> >
> > The inverse (a inside button) only works in Webkit.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > -h&kon
> >              Håkon Wium Lie                          CTO °þe(R)ª
> > howcome at opera.com                  http://people.opera.com/howcome
> >

> What's wrong with
>
> <button style="text-decoration: underline; color:blue">W3C</button>
>
> ?

The one real difference that I've run into with links and buttons is that
buttons are shrink-to-fit in block-display, while links are not.  This only
matters when you actually *need* to display them as block, frex when
centering, though many of these situations can be fixed by putting
text-align on the parent.
~TJ