[whatwg] fixing the authentication problem

Kristof Zelechovski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Tue Oct 21 08:35:51 PDT 2008

Sending any data, including, log-in data, through an unencrypted connection
is greeted by a warning dialogue box in Internet Explorer.  A similar
precaution is taken when the server certificate is not trusted.  The risk of
using an invalid certificate is bigger than not using any because your level
of trust is bigger while you are equally unprotected.

It is not enough to make sure that your credentials do not unintentionally
leave <example.com>.
Consider the following scenario:
1. You want to update your blog at <blog.com>
2. <Evil.org> poses as <blog.com> by phishing or DNS poisoning.
3. You log in to <evil.org> using your credentials of <blog.com>.
4. The bad guys at <evil.org> use your credentials to post an entry at
<blog.com> that you are going to deploy a dirty bomb in NYC.
5. You travel to the USA and you end up in Guantanamo.
Nice, eh?
Chris