[whatwg] input type="hidden" and validation

Oldřich Vetešník vetesnik at mrmil.cz
Wed Oct 22 08:41:37 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'd like to throw a question out here, please don't shoot me if it's been
already answered, I'm a full-time coder and don't have an internet at home
so I can't make any deep researches in your archives.

Q: Is it possible that hidden inputs don't have to be in a semantic tag?
That is it passes the validation test without showing this error up:
line 20 column 32 - Error: document type does not allow element "input"
here; missing one of "p", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "div",
"pre", "address", "fieldset", "ins", "del" start-tag

It's because hidden inputs aren't meant to be shown to the front-end user
so it doesn't mean if it's not covered in a semantic tag. Sometimes it's
O.K., you have a form with a few fieldsets so you can put it in one, but
sometimes it's rather stupid having to do <div><input type="hidden"
name="somename" value="somevalue" /></div> just to silence the validator.

Thank you,
Ollie