[whatwg] [WF2] <select required>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Oct 23 05:31:41 PDT 2008

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Robert wrote:

> Submitting an empty value may be wanted, and since a select by
> definition is a list of predefined valid values, it would make little
> sense to prevent the user from selecting some of them. However, I agree
> with the use case of the invalid starter value so users must consciously
> select a value they wanted instead of the default one.

This use case is definitely something we want to consider, but I don't
think it's about required="". It's about an option in the <select> being a
non-option (as it were). <select> by definition can't have nothing
selected. That's what it means.

The issue about a placeholder value is listed as an open issue in the
spec, and will probably be addressed at some future point.

I hope this addresses your comments satisfactorily.

Cheers,