[whatwg] [WF3] Web Forms 3.0 Feature List

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Oct 28 13:25:19 PDT 2008

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Matthew Raymond wrote:

>    I'll start:
>
>  * XForms Tiny's |calculate| attribute
>
>  * |required| attribute with expression values
>    (formerly XForms Tiny's |needed| attribute)
>
>  * |valid| (formerly XForms Tiny's |constraint| attribute)
>
>  * |disabled| attribute with expression values
>    (formerly XForms Tiny's |relevant| attribute, without the hidden
>    presentation)

These all seem to be possible from script; it's not clear to me what
defining a simple expression language gains us here.

>  * |placeholder| attribute
>
>  * <input type="color"> (color picker)

Will reply to these in separate threads.

>  * <input type="move">
>    (drag control for moving items in a repetition block)

Dropped the repetition block structure altogether, so this is not longer
really relevant.

>  * <altinput>

Responded to this recently. Basically I think that we shouldn't introduce
features specifically for the transition period.

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, carmen wrote:

> don't you see cc1_exp_year as a bit of a problem? i hope webforms3
> addresses the name hacking that has become standard in web frameworks to
> flatten multiple db tables, columns, keys, usernames, records, etc into
> a single name field. requiring regex is not so cool..

WF2 referenced RFC3106, but nobody seemed interested in this, so I've
dropped that in HTML5.

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Mihai Sucan wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is appropriate thread to make a wish, but the
> subject is "WF3 feature list". Please don't forget about extending
> <input type=email> to allow a list of multiple emails, comma separated.

Will cover that separately.

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Keryx Web wrote:

> More food for thought can be found at
> http://friendlybit.com/js/improving-interactivity-with-javascript/
>
> At least three of them seem to not be in WF 2: "Drag and drop", "Image
> handling" and "Sortable Items". Auto validation seems like a usable
> feature as well, but is perhaps left to JS as server-side validation
> often is necessary.

We've done many of those now. Rich tooltips, and declaratively
saying which controls affect each other, aren't possible in HTML5, but I'm
not sure what to do about those.

Better looking form fields are a CSS issue.

I'm not really sure what we can do about autosaving, image handling, and
search-based or structured navigation.

Cheers,