[whatwg] Proposal: Allow block content inside label element

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Oct 28 18:10:24 PDT 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> Does that mean that Internet Explorer should NOT redirect focus from a
> LABEL to the control because the operating system GUI does not do that
> either?

For checkboxes and radio buttons, the text that Windows places near the
interactive widget both focuses and activates the control; in the case of
text fields, the text is static and has no behavior.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> What should the browser do with a label containing a hyperlink, assuming
> the operating system allows plain text labels only?

I'm not aware of any modern GUI that doesn't allow text to be interactive
(like a link) or styled, so this is probably academic. However, the spec
already defines how to handle elements within <label> that have their own
activation behavior, so this is moot.