[whatwg] Web forms 2, input type suggestions (Michael A. Puls II)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Oct 29 00:46:27 PDT 2008

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Alex Vincent wrote:

> I've held off on commenting about the new types suggested for input so
> far, but I should mention this:  Web Forms 2 as it currently stands has
> twenty-four different types of input elements.  Ten from HTML 4,
> fourteen new ones in this spec.  Please, please, don't overload it any
> more than is absolutely necessary.

We're down to 20 total, 10 from HTML4 and 10 new ones, 6 of which are
date-related, 2 of which are numeric, and 2 of which are text-based.

We'll probably add type=color soon, and maybe type=emails or some such
some time after that. In general though I agree that we should keep things
to a minimum, just as with all parts of the Web platform.

Cheers,