[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

Dr. Markus Walther walther at svox.com
Thu Oct 30 04:13:57 PDT 2008

anybody noticed the discussion starts mimicking the title, looping
forever... ;-)

I think that, when taking into account earlier responses to this
list/thread carefully, it is clear that recent responses don't quite fit
the legitimate use cases that Jonas, I and other have presented.

Let me try to summarize again:

The way I see it, the discussion is about the need for 'start' and 'end'
attributes for <audio>, both in conjunction with looping (hence the
title) and without (e.g. my use case of audio editor in a browser).

Any proposed solution that ignores the use case where 'start' and 'end'
values are not known in advance is not satisfactory IMHO (see my
files, for there the audio snippets would have to be statically known.
It also rules out multiple audio elements pointing statically to
different files or fragments of files. The use case is dynamic, so
static won't work. You need to be able to set 'start'/'end' e.g. on user
mouse input in the browser!

Any proposed solution that requires a server roundtrip just to reselect
a different section of the same audio material seems inadequate for
latency-sensitive applications (see my previous posts for details).
Latency issues will also likely kill the idea of a callback triggered by
a cue range ending - the audio will likely stop playing too late (and
yes, there are apps requiring that kind of accuracy).

Last but not least audio can also be dynamically generated or modified
in the browser using data URIs - I have done it for the PCM WAVE format.
In the absence of an 'audio canvas' (see my earlier posts) or an
interface like what Flash 10 recently provided, there is not much else
you can do. If audio can originate from the client, however, no
server-side proposal will help in selecting sections from it for playback.

Question: In the light of the combined evidence for the usefulness of
'start'/'end' for <audio> (implemented in Safari already), why insist
further on avoiding those?

--Markus