[whatwg] When should a script be parsed

Keryx Web webmaster at keryx.se
Thu Oct 30 09:10:40 PDT 2008

Hi

I am in the process of setting up a test page (informal), from which I
intend to make real tests and submit bug reports to Webkit, Mozilla,
Opera, etc.

http://keryx.se/dev/javascript/javascript-parsing-test.html

It is not finished yet. It does nut run at all in MSIE...

But a few things are noticeable:

Webkit based browsers happily tries to parse scripts after the following
tags:

  <script language=javascript1.6">
  <script language=javascript1.7">

Even though neither Safari nor Chrome support those JavaScript versions.
And it is not a matter of bugs, but lacking implementations.

No browser runs script specified with:

  type="text/ecmascript;version=2.0"
  type="application/ecmascript;version=2.0"
  type="text/ecmascript;version=3.0"
  type="application/ecmascript;version=3.0"

A. Should not the spec mandate that a browser must support a certain
version of JavaScript if it tries to run it?

B. Should the spec mandate that a browser must run a script that it de
facto supports, e.g. ecmascript 3 in Firefox?

I think neither issue is clear today. Perhaps this is outside the scope
of HTML 5?

Regards

Lars Gunther