[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

Dr. Markus Walther walther at svox.com
Thu Oct 30 11:01:02 PDT 2008

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> I believe your use case of creating an adio editor through using the
> "audio" tag is a bit far fetched. I don't think it lends itself to
> that kind of functionality.

Your belief is fine with me - you haven't seen the prototype running on
Safari ;-)

> You would not use the "img" tag to
> implement a picture editor either.

This is a non-compelling analogy that I already discussed on the list -
IMHO it's simply a matter of taste whether to proliferate HTML elements
or extend the API of an existing element a bit. For what it's worth,
people _could_ have extended "img" instead of going for "canvas" ...

> As for start/end attributes - I still believe that a javascript API
> towards changing start and end times for playback is much more
> appropriate than changing attributes and expecting the media framework
> to react to the changed attribute values. If the main usecase for you
> is dynamic and not static, then you should have an interface that has
> direct access to the video controls (i.e. directly run a function)
> rather than going through an attribute indirection (i.e. change state,
> which needs to trigger a function). Note that this does not imply a
> roundtrip to the server.

My use cases are neutral to the finer points you raise here - I would
simply do a pause() before setting start/end to new values and calling
play() again. If necessary, there could be restrictions in the spec on
resetting those values during playback, or no guarantees of audible
glitches from the UA. Either way is fine, just not dropping start/end
altogether.

--Markus