[whatwg] RDFa

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Sep 9 01:58:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
> >
> > The DOM consistency issue is that the xmlns attributes are DOM-wise
> > different in text/html and application/xhtml+xml due to legacy
> > reasons. The attribute that reads xmlns:cc="..." is represented
> > differently in the DOM when the serialization was text/html than when
> > it was application/xhtml+xml. We can't make xmlns:foo='...' conforming
> > on HTML elements without either violating the DOM Consistency design
> > principle (bad) or introducing namespace processing into HTML5 parsing
> > (also bad).
>
> FWIW, I think introducing namespace processing into HTML 5 parsing is
> the lesser evil here. I think it is substantially less bad than an
> inconsistent DOM.

Both introducing a namespace prefix processing model and introducing DOM
inconsistencies at the XML/HTML boundary intentionally are simply not an
option in WHATWG specs at this point. Experience borne out of mechanisms
that have had these characteristics [1] has shown these problems to be
simply unacceptable for a Web authoring-level specification. This is
feedback I have received from browser vendors and authors a lot.

([1] e.g. XML namespaces, which has the former characteristic when used in
XHTML1 documents processed as XML and the latter characteristic when used
in XHTML documents processed as HTML4.)