[whatwg] Generic Metadata Mechanisms (RDFa feedback summary wikipage)

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Wed Sep 10 07:37:51 PDT 2008

Ian Hickson wrote:
> If people who understand this stuff better could fill in the blanks that
> would be great.

Ian, we'll take some time in the coming months to fill in the details
and reorganize the page a bit. What you are asking for is in line with
what the Microformats community requires for a spec to go forward.

All of this information exists for RDFa in the RDFa Primer[1] and the
RDFa Specification[2]. We will pick bits and pieces out of each document
and format it in a way that makes sense for this community. For example:

> 1.1 What is the problem we are trying to solve?

When visiting a website, it is difficult for browsers to do much more
than display information in the browser. Extracting concepts in the page
is currently very difficult because a scalable syntax to express those
concepts does not exist in HTML5.

For example, if one were to visit a music blog, it would be beneficial
if the browser, or a browser-plugin, could detect all of the songs on
the web page and re-mash the data in a way that benefits the person
browsing.

Actions such as queuing the songs into a playlist in the user's favorite
music player, searching for more information on the band of a particular
song, finding the cheapest price for an album listed on the page,
auto-blogging details about the song, auto-adding the song to a
wish-list, and sharing the song info with a friend all require the
ability to reliably extract the data from the page that is being viewed.

-------------

There will, of course, be many more examples of the problem following
the same format as shown above. Is this what you had in mind for the
problem description? If so, give us some time and we'll be able to
refine that page in the coming months.

-- manu

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa-primer/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/