[whatwg] Generic Metadata Mechanisms (RDFa feedback summary wiki page)

Shannon shannon at arc.net.au
Wed Sep 10 18:08:27 PDT 2008

I would like to restore the pros and cons. Although they are not as
consise as you would like there was still a considerable amount of time
put into them and they do reflect the arguments put forward on both
sides of the RDF discussions. You are asking for more detail and then
removing the details that existed.

I understand your desire for more detail but please understand that in
many cases the why is really self-explanatory. We are web professionals
and academics, not children. In some, probably most, cases the Pros and
Cons answer the why question in their own right.

I don't mind fleshing out the details and arguments behind more complex
subjects but if you're going to block-delete contributions I don't see
why I should bother. What really upset me is that you yourself set the
precedent for simple Pro/Con bullet points under each "requirement" with
your initial template. You can call it placeholder text if you like but
I certainly got the impression that you were looking for concise points,
not essays.

I don't want to undo, since you've added other clarifications since but
I would like reassurance that if I copy-paste the pros and cons back in
they'll stay this time. If there are any particular points you object
too then let me know.

Ian Hickson wrote:

> 2.8 Choice of format
>
> This section doesn't describe a requirement.

Are you sure? The RDFa folk have been insisting it's RDFa or nothing for
some time now. On the other hand it has drawbacks which another format
may solve. This is similar to scripts coming in different formats
(Javascript, VBScript) and styles (CSS, XLST). It isn't a "requirement"
per-se, more like a desirable outcome. Perhaps we need a new section for
non-essential needs but then that's just begging for an edit war as
proponents of different solutions promote or demote other peoples
requirements. Perhaps you should be more precise about what makes
something "required" because by strict definition the only actual
requirements for "generic metadata" in HTML5 should be "it conveys
metadata" and "it works in HTML5".

Shannon