[whatwg] Can <var> possibly work?

Ozob the Great ozob1337 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 13:01:59 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Andrew Sidwell <andi at takkaria.org> wrote:

> Ozob the Great wrote:
>
>> Sorry, mail client trouble. Here is the complete message.
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi <mailto:
>> hsivonen at iki.fi>> wrote:
>>
>>    The use cases for <var> probably aren't strong enough to warrant its
>>    addition to HTML at this stage if it hadn't been in HTML
>>    already--you might as well use <i>. However, given that <var> has
>>    already been in HTML for a long time, it probably isn't harmful
>>    enough to make it non-conforming. Actually, its main harm is the
>>    opportunity cost of the debates about when it's appropriate to use
>>    it. :-/
>>

>> I agree making <var> non-conforming is inappropriate.
>>
>> Let me make a specific and concrete proposal. 4.6.14 should be changed to
>> read as follows:
>>
>> The var element represents a variable. This could be an actual variable in
>> a programming context, or it could be a term used as a placeholder in prose.
>> Use of var in a mathematical context is deprecated in favor of MathML
>> content markup.
>>

> What benefit does that bring to anyone, if all they want to do is to mark
> up a mathematical variable very simply in text?  Also, what does deprecated
> mean here? --it's certainly at no risk of being removed in the future.

I think the usage you're considering is the "placeholder in prose"
situation. As an example of this, the spec currently gives: "<p>If there are
<var>n</var> pipes leading to the ice cream factory, then I expect at
purchase!</p>" Is this what you're thinking of, or did you have some other
use in mind?

As far as "deprecated", the OED tells me that it means, "To plead earnestly
against; to express an earnest wish against (a proceeding); to express
earnest disapproval of (a course, plan, purpose, etc.)." So saying that
<var> is deprecated in a mathematical context means that its use for
mathematics is discouraged. (The OED also tells me that historically,
"deprecate" meant "to pray against evil", but that's not the meaning I
intend here!)

> If anything, it would be more helpful for the text to be "If you wish to
> mark up complex mathematical content, then MathML is more suitable than the
> var element.".

I think you're asking to have 4.6.14 say:

The var element represents a variable. This could be an actual variable in a
programming context, or it could be a term used as a placeholder in
prose. If you wish to mark up complex mathematical content, then MathML is
more suitable than the var element.

Is that right?

--
Ozob