[whatwg] defining new HTTP headers

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Sep 25 01:36:01 PDT 2008

<http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20080925#l-43>:

> # # [04:24] <gsnedders> Hixie: Nobody is working on a new version of HTTP, though: 2616bis is just revising the spec, and can't make any normative changes to it.

That's not entirely true; for instance, we can make normative changes if
we have evidence that RFC2616 does not reflect reality.

> # # [04:24] <gsnedders> Hixie: Which is kinda problematic if that's the place to define the header.

As far as I can tell, you are speaking of a new header. This can be
defined in an IETF document, in a W3C document, and in other places. You
just need to register it with IANA, and expert review (hopefully) will
happen.

What's true is that you can't require existing HTTP/1.1 clients to send
it with every POST request (did anybody seriously suggest that?).

BR, Julian