[whatwg] Canvas performance issue: setting colors

Sjoerd Visscher sjoerd at w3future.com
Mon Sep 29 15:24:22 PDT 2008

Hi,

With the increasing speed of javascript engines, some other
performance issues are starting to become apparent. Take this demo for
example:

http://playground.q42.nl/animatie/blobs/sjoerd/blobscolor.html

A large percentage of the time goes into building color strings for
setting the strokeStyle, which the browser then has to take apart
again. This is a very unnecessary performance hit. (Btw, on my Mac
this runs faster under Google Chrome in VMware than natively in the
latest Webkit nightly.)

I think the canvas api should get 2 new methods:

   CanvasColor createRGBAColor(in float r, in float g, in float b, in
float a)
   CanvasColor createHSLAColor(in float h, in float s, in float l, in
float a)

CanvasColor objects could be opaque, or maybe they have a toString
method that returns the CSS serialization. The strokeStyle, fillStyle
and shadowColor attributes should accept these objects, and probably
the addColorStop method as well. Using CSS color strings should still
work obviously. On getting these attributes the serialization must
still be returned like it is now.

greetings,
--
Sjoerd Visscher