[whatwg] Placeholder option for text input boxes

Andy Lyttle whatwg at phroggy.com
Tue Sep 30 09:36:45 PDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 7:57 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> If and until user enters text, the "alternate" text is displayed.
>
> The confusing part is that successfully rendered inputs would be
> rendered and still use the alt.
>
> The good part is that it would be (or should be) accessible for
> screen readers.

But alt here as you're describing it doesn't mean the same thing as
alt anywhere else.  On an image, alt text says "this means the same
thing as what's supposed to be displayed."  A placeholder does NOT
mean the same thing as whatever the user is going to enter.

On the bright side, doing what you suggest shouldn't break anything
because I'm sure nobody's using it.  However, I don't think that just
because we have an existing property defined that's used on other
tags with a different meaning, we should reuse that property for this
meaning instead of defining a new property.

--
Andy Lyttle
whatwg at phroggy.com