[whatwg] Safari-compatible <input type="search">

Andy Lyttle whatwg at phroggy.com
Tue Sep 30 15:46:12 PDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 2:55 PM, Christoph Päper wrote:

> The magnifying glass was a particularly poor choice by Apple[1],
> because icons featuring one usually represent zooming (in).
> Binoculars are (for some reason) more common as symbols for
> searches. Eyes and spectacles OTOH most often represent visibility.
>
> Anyhow, the appearance of this or other types of |input| should not
> be specified by HTML5 / WF2+.

Of course browsers could choose what the icon should look like;
binoculars aren't a bad choice (although I think you're wrong about
them being more common than a magnifying glass these days).  The key
is that the browser gives some sort of non-text indication to the
user about the purpose of the field, in a platform-appropriate way.

--
Andy Lyttle
whatwg at phroggy.com