[whatwg] About Descendent Tags

Diego Eis diegoeis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 09:45:39 PDT 2009

This is not correct in HTML4?
<h1>Romeo and Juliet</h1>
<h3>a tragedy in Italian style</h3>

I don't know why I mark the headers above with <header>.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Kristof Zelechovski
<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:
> A group of headings looks as follows:
>
> <header
>><h1 >Romeo and Juliet</h1
>><h3 >a tragedy in Italian style</h3 ></header >
>
> This is meant to replace the clumsy HTML4 way:
>
> <H1 >Romeo and Juliet <BR ><SMALL >a tragedy in Italian style</SMALL ></H1 >
>
> HTH,
> Chris

Hello,
my name is Diego Eis. I'm from Brazil. Sorry for my bad english, ok? :D
I have a website about web standards in pt-br called Tableless.com.br.
And I have a little question.

I have read some HTML5 articles and the specifications in WHATWG
website. I read, for example, the element 'h3' or others headers not
appear as a descendant of the 'footer' element. And I see also the
element 'nav' must not appear as a descendant of the header element.
I don't understand why. The obviously for me when I use the element
header, I say to browsers that element is a header and all elements
descendant are components of this header.
When I write HTML or XHTML, the strutucture look like this:
  <h1>logo</h1>
  <ul menu>
  <form search>

With HTML5 header element, I can't do this. The structure above have a
good semantic. The obviously don't be the same code, but using the
header element and not div#header?

Forgive if this question pass to here in other time. I realy want to
know and discuss this point.

Cheers,
Diego Eis
Tableless.com.br