[whatwg] Input type for phone numbers

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:31:40 PDT 2009

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Is this observation based on observing U.S. sites?

At work, we only enter weeks into our Bugzilla. Even our time tracking
system didn't ask us to enter weeks (you have to fill in a spreadsheet
of html cells, but you view them a week at a time, and generally
navigate 'next week', 'previous week', 'bang mouse repeatedly until
you get close to the right week'.

I'd rather delete weeks from our process but the process process
manager managers manage to add weekly process management things
weekly.

In no other portion of my web app experience at my current European
employer must i suffer from week entry. And in the case of Bugzilla,
it's utterly useless because you spend so much time processing that
you don't actually make the weekly deadline and therefore have to
process  change request to change the week to 5 later.

> type=week is meant for European business use. (It doesn't even support U.S.
> week numbers.)

> Being in Europe, I'm not convinced that week needs to be supported as an
> input, though. When I see week numbers used, it tends to involve output
> instead input, but I don't use European business scheduling apps.

Being in Europe, I'm uncertain...

If someone actually were to make it so that an American could actually
use the web app because they could figure out what the heck it was
talking about (the numbers are utterly meaningless), then I suppose
that my browser could explain the app to me by showing me a calendar
with real dates would be valuable.

Given that there are 3 or more week numbering rules, I'd expect this
feature to fail often.

The apps I'm working w/ today can't get DST transitions right, and
that problem is older....