[whatwg] Worker feedback

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Apr 2 21:26:43 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jorlow at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately we have to deal with cookies and localStorage, where the API
>> is already set.
>>

> Is it "set"?
>
> I understand that localStorage has been around for a while, but as far as I
> can tell virtually no one uses it.  I thought the reason for calling this
> spec a draft was so that such fairly major issues could be corrected?  I
> agree that changing something this late in the game is less than ideal, but
> I think we're both agreeing that any synchronous APIs that cross the
> event-loop are going to be long term problems.

AFAIK every major browser has an implementation of localStorage close to
shipping. The only way I can imagine having a chance to put the brakes on
the feature now is for everyone who hasn't actually shipped it --- which I
think is currently everyone but IE, since we shipped the old "globalStorage"
which we're planning to rip out anyway --- to unite and disable it
immediately until we have a better API. Maybe we could even get IE to
disable it in an update.

Mozilla could probably get behind that, but I don't know who else is willing
to bite the bullet.

I suppose "sessionStorage" can stay?

Rob
53:5-6]