[whatwg] Worker feedback

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:44:55 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
> I agree it would make sense for new APIs to impose much greater constraints
> on consumers, such as requiring them to factor code into transactions,
> declare up-front the entire scope of resources that will be accessed, and
> enforce those restrictions, preferably syntactically --- Jonas' asynchronous
> multi-resource-acquisition callback, for example.

Speaking as a novice javascript developer, this feels like the
cleanest, simplest, most easily comprehensible way to solve this
problem.  We define what needs to be locked all at once, provide a
callback, and within the dynamic context of the callback no further
locks are acquirable.  You have to completely exit the callback and
start a new lock block if you need more resources.

This prevents deadlocks, while still giving us developers a simple way
to express what we need.  As well, callbacks are at this point a
relatively novice concept, as every major javascript library makes
heavy use of them.

~TJ