[whatwg] Private browsing vs. Storage and Databases

Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) ifette at google.com
Tue Apr 7 17:39:30 PDT 2009

In Chrome/Chromium, "incognito" mode is basically a new profile that is in
memory (plus or minus... the cache will never get written out to disk,
although of course the memory pages could get swapped out and hit the disk
that way...). The implication is that, for many of these features, things
could just naturally get handled. That is, whilst the session is active,
pages can still use a database / local storage / ... / and at the end of the
session, when that profile is deleted, things will go away. I personally
like that approach, as there may be legitimate reasons to want to use a
database even for just a single session. (Perhaps someone wants to edit a
spreadsheet and the spreadsheet app wants to use a database on the client as
a backing store for fast edits, I don't know...). I just don't like the idea
of saying "Sorry, incognito/private/... means a class of pages won't work"
if there's no reason it has to be that way.
In short, I would prefer something closest to Option 3. It lets pages just
work, but respects the privacy wishes of the user. (AppCache / persistent
workers are the one exception where I think Option3 doesn't apply and we
need to figure something out.)

-Ian