[whatwg] Private browsing vs. Storage and Databases

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Tue Apr 7 18:10:03 PDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 6:04 PM, Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) wrote:

> 2009/4/7 Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc>
>
> I do agree that there's still need for storing data while in private
> browsing mode. So I do think it makes a lot of sense for
> .sessionStorage to keep working.
>
> But I do have concerned about essentially telling a website that we'll
> store the requested data, only to drop it on the floor as soon as the
> user exits private browsing mode (or crashes).
>
> / Jonas
>
> Doesn't the website have to handle that anyways? I mean, I assume
> that all the browsers are going to allow users some way to "manage"
> this stuff, much like cache/cookies - e.g. you have to assume that
> at some point in time the user is going to blow you away.
> (Especially on mobile devices where space is more of a premium...)

Caches are always assumed to be temporary and recoverable, and cookies
have severe size and lifetime limitations placed on them (ie - the
User Agent can never be excepted to keep cookies around for any
predictable lifetime, per the cookies spec).

LocalStorage and Databases are expected to be persistent unless a
script or the user explicitly removes them.  They're more like files,
where arbitrarily misplacing them is unacceptable.

~Brady