[whatwg] Private browsing vs. Storage and Databases

Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) ifette at google.com
Tue Apr 7 18:19:19 PDT 2009

Yeah, but my argument is more that Incognito / Private / whatever is like
starting from a boot cdrom with a filesystem that's in memory. The OS isn't
pretending, nobody's lying to the app, that's just the way it is.
I think Michael summarized it well -

Copying it over and making it read-only violates privacy concerns.
Turning it off entirely removes functionality when it could perhaps be
useful

I think that doing option 3, and perhaps providing a way for the app to know
that we're in this mode so it can do whatever is appropriate (saving to the
cloud more frequently, just not using localstorage all together, whatever is
right for that app) solves those problems.