[whatwg] Private browsing vs. Storage and Databases

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Tue Apr 7 18:33:19 PDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 6:24 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> Both would lead to bizarre behavior where data that the application
> thought was saved really wasn't.
>
> This matches up with how most private browsing sessions handle
> cookies, right?  The data persists until the session is up (because
> some of the web can't work correctly without them) but then they're
> deleted at the end.

I guess I'll raise this point yet again, as it's a favorite of
mine...  ;)  Cookies are not expected to be persistent, and when space
runs out for them and they're expired there is already no notification
of that.  Any app writer that expected cookies to be a safe,
persistent store of data or state was already playing with fire.

~Brady