[whatwg] Start position of media resources

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Thu Apr 9 17:18:41 PDT 2009

2009/4/10 Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz>:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
>> http://example.com/video.ogg#t=5s
>>
>> displaying the selected frame, but displaying a timeline for the full
>> video and allowing the user to directly go to any position.
>
> For this to work with custom user interfaces in JavaScript, the JS
> needs to be able to find out the start time position of the video.
> Should this be available as an attribute of the video DOM object, or
> is it ok to require them to parse the information from the URL?

I think it should be in the DOM as the information may not always be
in the URL. One of the proposals in the Media Fragments WG is to make
the context known through an HTTP response header (signifying that
this content is a segment of that other resource). In any case it
would be much more reliable for browsers to parse time specifiers
(wherever they occur) than to expect applications to do so.

Conrad.