[whatwg] scope of link type "license"

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Thu Apr 16 15:24:11 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I am unsure on what scope the "current document" should have in
subsection 5.11.3.9 (Link type "license") of the spec and how it
functions (or should play) together with sectioning.

Let us consider this example, a creative-commons-licensed video:

<figure>
    <video src="foo.ogg"/>
    <legend>
	Mister X.
        </a>
rel="license">
	CC BY-SA 3.0
        </a>
    </legend>
</figure>

As I understand it, in this example, due to the provision of subsection
5.11.3.3 (Link type "author") "For a [...] elements, the author keyword
indicates that the referenced document provides further information
about the author of the section that the element defining the hyperlink
applies to.", the linked author could be considered the author of the
video.

However, subsection 5.11.3.9 (Link type "license") has no such
provision. I therefore propose to amend "For a and area elements, the
license keyword indicates that the referenced document provides further
information about the author of the section that the element defining
the hyperlink applies to." to subsection 5.11.3.9 of the HTML 5 spec.

Cheers,
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>