[whatwg] HTML as a text format: Should <title> be optional?

Michael Enright michael.enright at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:10:36 PDT 2009

If you use HTML as a text file format you can still let the receiving
parser infer all sorts of tags and allow yourself to write things like
Andersen's first HTML version. If you want a title, put a title
element in. Is the concern about validation? Can one really get in
that much trouble without a pedantic validator checking your work?
Could the validator's warning about missing doctype be taken as
advisory? Is the doctype a problem? It only affects the details of
rendering (by turning off quirks) and HTML5 is still not equivalent to
pagemaker anyway, especially without CSS.