[whatwg] Select elements and radio button/checkbox groups [Was: Form Control Group Labels]

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Apr 24 15:09:47 PDT 2009

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Markus Ernst wrote:

> This CSS3 module is indeed an interesting approach, anyway I don't see
> in this spec how possible conflicts between the form structure and it's
> presentation can be avoided or handled. Start with:
>
> <select name="gender">
>   <option value="f">Female</option>
>   <option value="m">Male</option>
> </select>
>
> Now you can easily change the presentation into a radio button group,
> which is fine:
>
> <select name="gender" style="appearance:radio-group">
>
> But then an author does this:
>
> <select name="gender" style="appearance:checkbox-group">
>
> Now there is a conflict, as the form structure allows only a single
> selection, while the presentation allows a multiple one.

It's not clear that the underlying element can actually get multiple
selections here (I would argue it cannot); but this is an issue for CSS3
UI, not for HTML5.

> This does not only affect the rendering of the element and the reaction
> to user actions, but is even likely to break the handling of the
> submitted value, as server-side handlers often expect either a single
> value or an array of values and are not configured to cope with both of
> them.

A conforming browser wouldn't send values that violate the rules HTML5
describes, which in this case prevents the scenario you describe,
regardless of the presentation layer.