[whatwg] Parsing RFC3339 constructs

Asbjørn Ulsberg list at asbjorn.ulsberg.no
Mon Apr 27 13:26:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:59:11 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>>   - the literal letters T and Z must be uppercase
>
> Any technical reason why they have to?

Any reason why they don't?

> It would help people understand what the difference to RFC 3339 is.

Indeed, and this is exactly what we did in RFC 4287, as I've pointed out previously. And I can't say that date parsing has proven to be an issue there at all, even with the little work we did on narrowing down and tightening the syntax. Section 3.3. of RFC 4287 says:

   A Date construct is an element whose content MUST conform
   to the "date-time" production in [RFC3339].  In addition,
   an uppercase "T" character MUST be used to separate date
   and time, and an uppercase "Z" character MUST be present
   in the absence of a numeric time zone offset.

Perhaps HTML5 needs more detailing than this for parsing, but not referencing RFC 3339 just for the sake of not referencing RFC 3339 doesn't make much sense imho.

For authoring (and parsing, infact), RFC 3339 plus a couple of additional guidelines have proven to be enough for implementors of RFC 4287, so assume HTML5 could be better off doing the same, no?

Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-          asbjorn at ulsberg.no