[whatwg] size attribute

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Apr 28 00:34:20 PDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> Regarding 4.10.4.2.4 The size attribute
> <URL:http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/forms.html#
> the-size-attribute>:
>
> The user does not see characters, she sees glyphs.  If the text input
> control uses a variable-spaced typeface, the user agent must consider the
> maximum glyph width for the worst case (WWW in Latin or whatever), which may
> be excessive, or resize the control on the fly (causing a reflow, which
> would be unexpected and annoying).
>
> My text was intended as an amendment to the first sentence only.  In
> particular, I think that the comment about ligatures is worth including.

For authors, it seems like giving any sort of detail would be misleading,
since the actual meaning of the attribute is pretty specific and
doesn't really match anything intuitive.

For implementors, the spec already gives, to the pixel, the length
required (in the rendering section).

It's not clear to me exactly which of these you are suggesting should be
changed, or why.