[whatwg] size attribute

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Apr 28 11:33:05 PDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> The algorithm [1] for converting a character width to pixels is good
> indeed, except that it should be formulated in terms of glyphs and not
> characters because stand-alone characters are not displayed or perceived
> as such for some scripts.

As far as I can tell, "character width" is an adequate term here. I don't
want to sacrifice readability for pedantism when it's not necessary.

> If the primary font for which the algorithm is being run comprises
> several scripts, as it typically does, characters of the script of the
> effective language of the control should take overwhelming weight in the
> average.

As far as I can tell from testing other browsers, this is not the case.

> This algorithm does not fulfill the requirements for the size attribute
> formulated in section 4.10.4.2.4 [2]: when it is applied, it may happen
> that the user agent will not be able to allow the user to see the whole
> text it should be able to allow.  The requirement should be modified to
> match the effect of the algorithm.

The text in 4.10.4.2.4 doesn't contain a requirement as far as I can tell.
It's just non-normative text for authors. As such it seems better to be
simple than precise.