[whatwg] Worker feedback

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Tue Apr 28 22:15:52 PDT 2009

29.04.2009, в 6:05, Ian Hickson написал(а):

>> Disregarding charset from HTTP headers is just a weird special case
>> for
>> a few text resource types. If we were going to deprecate HTML, XML
>> and
>> CSS, but keep appcache manifest going forward, it could maybe make
>> sense.
>
> What's the advantage of introducing all the pain and suffering that
> encodings will inevitably bring with them to the cache manifest
> format?

Just what I said before - the ability to use the same code path for
decoding manifests as for decoding other types of resources. It's a
minor benefit, admittedly, but it's a potential issue at all stages -
from generating content to checking it with automated tools to
consuming it.

For authors and admins, it may be a nuisance to maintain an UTF-8 text
file if the rest of the site is in a different encoding.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov